Wednesday 18 September 2013

Big up Biking in Boston

I reported back on my fabulous cycling experiences in NYC – burning up those yellow taxis – and DC - getting the National Mall almost to myself - so it would be remiss not to mention my cycle ride in Boston. This petite city has plenty of roads hugging its historic centre, and Mass, drivers aren’t known for their courtesy. I can report that they haven’t a lot of time or space for cyclists, but there is a great off-road loop along the banks of the Charles River. Little hairy getting to it from the waterfront, where I picked up my bike rental from Urban Adventours, but once you’re on the river trail just beyond the Museum of Science there’s a great view of the city skyline all the way up to Harvard. I took a stroll around Harvard Square with its historic university buildings, milling students and cheap eats, then got back in the saddle and shot down the other bank. Boathouses, playgrounds and the lagoons of Charles River Esplanade are among the points of interest. This way you see Boston at play. Yummy mummies jogging their kids along in aerodynamic strollers, folk walking their pampered pooches, lovers canoodling and old guys chewing the fat on park benches. Nothing gives you such a range of perspectives and insights like a city bike ride.




No comments:

Post a Comment