Wednesday 25 September 2013

Cycling with Snakes in Toronto

In my quest to test the city cycle trails of the world, I saddled up on a cute little three-gear, courtesy of Cambridge Suites hotel, and hit the road in Toronto. I’m told that cycling Canada’s largest city is a controversial activity. The mayor doesn’t keep it quiet that he is no fan of us free wheelers. But while he and other motorists may feel as much love for us as a speed hump, less cars on the road, means gas guzzlers do get around faster. Swings and roundabouts. And talking of swingers, shoppers of Bloor Street, please note, those things on your car doors are not vanity mirrors, glance in ‘em before swinging open. Never have I had so many near somersaults.
Drivers are not the only hazard to cyclists in this metropolis. Snakes and tram lines also need to be given a wide berth. I did a fabulous BMX-style stunt to stay upright when my front wheel got into an altercation with the latter.
The former I was warned of on a leafy peninsula detour from the main waterfront trail, into Tommy Thompson Park.
Toronto’s lakefront is a cyclist’s nirvana. Largely off-road paths weave through desirable neighbourhoods, past marinas, volleyball pitches, skateboard parks and urban green spaces, such as the Music Garden, all with the city skyline as your backdrop.
I started my tour at Yonge Street, cycling from west to east on Queen Street. It becomes trendier as you near The Beaches, a des res delight. How can you not love a community where queues form outside the independent coffee shops, while there are seats free at their major chain rivals?
Turning right at Woodbine Avenue I reached Lake Ontario’s shoreline got into cruise mode and savoured the changing terrain. About an hour later I reached the junction with Yonge. Heading north under the shadow of skyscrapers I stopped in at the Hockey Hall of Fame. From there I cycled through up-scale Yorkville with its designer stores, to the faux-medieval folly of Casa Loma, all formal gardens and fountains. Freewheeling back downhill I popped into the Bata Shoe Museum to learn about the male versions of Imelda Marcos and their vast sneaker collections, finishing up at the Royal Ontario Museum for a history tour.

All in a day’s work, and highlighting once again, that you can get more done and have more fun city sighting as a cyclist.






No comments:

Post a Comment